POST MALONE: A Quick History of the Hip Hop Star's Metal Roots
Post Malone is a rapper with a very big pop hit. Even if you don't pay attention to pop or hip hop, you likely heard on the radio or in a public space somewhere recently called "rockstar." Turns out rock was a big part of Malone's life.
Malone's real name is Austin Richard Post, and he was born in Syracuse and grew up in Dallas. His dad was big into hair metal, and other music of the time like "Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Duran Duran and Billy Idol," so rock was part of Malone's life from a young age.
In high school, he was in a metalcore band, playing guitar, and there's footage of him covering Asking Alexandria doing some sick crabcore moves. He's on the right of the stage:
A Twitter video surfaced on him on a tour bus covering Stray from the Path with Knocked Loose’s Bryan Garris:
— Bry (@BryanGarris_) October 23, 2017
…and there was this video of Youtuber Jared Dines hopping on his bus and playing some Thy Art Is Murder for him:
Lately, Post Malone has been repping Power Trip. MetalSucks points out he's been wearing their shirts on stage and doing some siqq hangs with the band:
View this post on Instagram
the bachelor: power trip edition vol. 3. @postmalone is a modest up and coming singer/songwriter from the dallas area, living in los angeles. his interests include: beerbongs, bentleys, basketball, bud light, bad brains, and rippin’ stoges. thank you austin for repping us, welcome to the PT unit, and congratulations on your career. contact him if you’d like to take a swing at true love. we hear he’s a real heartbreaker 📸: @adamdegross
It's pretty cool that Malone is possibly introducing some heavier music to a different audience.
Malone also fancies himself a wrestling fan. The Undertaker showed up at a recent show and chokeslammed him:
I'm crying man The Undertaker actually chokeslammed Post Malone pic.twitter.com/zzdUGR19FG
— francesca (@beckysbalboa) June 17, 2018
— Sean Mack (@seanmackradio) June 17, 2018
And here's the Nature Boy, Ric Flair woo'ing to Post Malone's music:
Here are some more Celebrity Metalheads:
- Comedian Bill Burr On MESHUGGAH's Live Show: "It Was A Life-Altering Experience"
- Actor Jason Momoa Hit Up METALLICA's Post-Grammys Hollywood Gig
- Chris Hemsworth, aka THOR, Is A Metalhead
- Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie's Son, Maddox, Is Definitely A Metalhead
- Jim Carrey Dons Corpse Paint, Gets On Stage With ALICE COOPER To Sing Classics
- Why Is Johnny Depp Hanging Out With Members of KORN?
- The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus Loves SLAYER, Jams With ANTHRAX
- Actress Margot Robbie Professes Her Love for METALLICA, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
- Yes, That Was Mr. Belding Introducing FEAR FACTORY At Their NYC Show
- The Mountain From Game Of ThronesListens To Metal When He Lifts
- Rogue One Star Forest Whitaker Spotted At BRING ME THE HORIZON Show
- Before He Was GAME OF THRONES' Tyrion Lannister, Peter Dinklage Fronted A Punk Band
- NEW KID ON THE BLOCK Donnie Wahlberg Spotted At PERIPHERY Show
- Dennis from It's Always Sunny Is Down With GOJIRA
- MINISTRY Frontman Invites Comedian Bill Burr To Play Drums Live With The Band
- Actor Colin Hanks Talks About His Love Of PRIMUS, FAR & DEFTONES