Slipknot suddenly parted ways with drummer Jay Weinberg last week, saying they had "decided to make a creative decision, and to part ways with Jay" with no further explanation. Weinberg has since issued his own statement, saying the firing was a total shock but that he'll continue on making music in a different capacity.
Over the course of the past day, Weinberg has amassed some serious support from major names in the rock and metal world on his Instagram. Gojira drummer Mario Duplantier, Avenged Sevenfold drummer Brooks Wackerman, former Volbeat guitarist Rob Caggiano, and Korn drummer Ray Luzier simply commented supportive emojis, while others had the following words of encouragement:
- Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater): "This is only the end of one chapter…you have MANY MORE to write Bro!! Always have your back"
- Aquiles Priester (ex-Angra, ex-Hangar): I've been there before brother and I know how hard it is! But you're a badass drummer and very young! I'm sure God never close one door before open much more opportunities! Keep it up!"
- Lzzy Hale (Halestorm): "Love to you darlin’ you are a legend and great things are still on the horizon for u!"
- Eloy Casagrande (Sepultura): "You’re one of the greatest, Jay. It’ll be a pleasure watching your next steps. Much love"
- Krimh (Septicflesh): "Thank you Jay for putting your energy and passion in this band. we felt it! this is for sure not the end and we all wish the best for your next chapter!"
- Austin Archey (Lorna Shore): "Love you brother you’re unstoppable! Blessed we crossed paths. You’re an inspiration to all of us"
- Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein (Misfits): "YOU RULE BROTHER"
- Colin Young (Twitching Tongues, God's Hate, Deadbody): "One of the few people in the world whose depth of their talent matches the size of their heart. Best drummer in the world, best person to have in your corner. Can’t wait to see what you do next."
- Joey Castillo (Circle Jerks, The Bronx): "You’re the Best my Brotha! Much love and respect!"
- Ben Weinman (The Dillinger Escape Plan): "Looking forward to what is next my man. Lice ya dude"
- Brian Slagel (Metal Blade Records): "I’m sure it will be soon!"
Slipknot has not yet named a replacement for Weinberg or posted any sort of mysterious mask on their social media.