At least last year an actual metal band won the damn Grammy. The Grammy for Best Metal Performance was announced earlier tonight, prior to the official kickoff of the show and just from the nominees you knew something was up:
- Anthrax – "Neon Knights" from Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life
- Mastodon "High Road" from Once More 'Round The Sun
- Motorhead "Heartbreaker" from Aftershock
- Slipknot "The Negative One" from .5: The Gray Chapter
- Tenacious D "The Last In Line" from Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life
When the nominees were announced I predicted "Ultimately, I expect Tenacious D to win because they are the most recognizable name and that's basically how Grammy voters vote." And guess what? That's exactly how they voted. Of course! Tenacious D won for a Dio cover. The saving grace I guess is that at least this is sort of a victory for Dio.
We have even more coverage of metal at the Grammys, including photos of Brann from Mastodon's fantastic outfit right here.
We discussed the Grammy win in the first hour of this week's Metal Injection Livecast. We'll have full coverage of all the metal at the Grammys tomorrow.