Happy February, or as we've christened it for the last few years… Happy Black Metal History Month. All month, we will celebrate metal's most controversial sub-genre with all new articles on essential black metal listening, killer videos, editorials, and the darkest of lists you'll see all year.
Before we kick off this year's posts, check out some of our highlights from previous years…
We got to see what A Day In The Life of The Necrosexual is like, while the King Of Metal, Dave Hill had some choice words for black metal music videos, and even harsher words for modern Black Metal bands, and schooled the rest on how bad their live performances are.
We explored the origin of black metal stage names, learned how to apply our corpse paint, looked into the primer of black metal from 1980-1984, counted down the 10 worst crimes committed by black metal musicians, looked at some alternative career options for black metal musicians, counted down the 10 best one man black metal bands, looked deep into the religion in black metal, cuddled grim kittens, explored what black metal means in 2014, gave the Metal Injection staff new names with the black metal name generator, and shared our black metal Valentine's Day cards.
We also reviewed some of our favorite Black Metal gems such as
- MAYHEM Deathcrush
- IMMORTAL Sons Of Northern Darkness
- VENOM Black Metal
- CELTIC FROST Morbid Tales
- LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH Baphometic Chaosium
- DIMMU BORGIR Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
- ULVER Bergtatt
- HELLHAMMER Apocalyptic Raids
- VREID Welcome Farewell
- DARKTHRONE The Underground Resistance
- ENSLAVED Mardraum: Beyond the Within
- BATHORY Under the Sign of the Black Mark
- GORGOROTH Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
- MERCYFUL FATE Melissa
- DISSECTION The Somberlain
- EMPEROR In the Nightside Eclipse & Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk