Back when there were record stores, there were some places that sold compilation albums of different artists. Sometimes they were full priced, and other times they were either inexpensive or free. There's also certain magazines like Metal Hammer, Terrorizer, and PROG that also ship with compilation discs. I always look forward to these discs because they give me a chance to sample bands I might not otherwise hear. Our friends at Metal Libre have put together a series of (currently four) compilation albums showcasing some of the best of Creative Commons Metal Music. Lots of these bands have featured on here, but what's really great is there's stuff I haven't heard yet, and will check out later on. Similarly the folks at Irish Metal Archive have similarly put together a staggering compilation of artists hailing from Ireland. Definitely check out these compilations, and give these bands some support. And lastly there's a great project over at MP3Tribute.com where Jairus Kahn of Ad·ver·sary is compiling a tribute to Aaron Swartz and his legacy by compiling 100 previously non-CC albums and releasing them under a Creative Commons License. it's unfortunate this is in the face of Aaron taking his life, but we close out this episode with one of the tracks from this project. You can find that track and all of the great CC-Licensed Metal Music after the break:
- (00:09) Metaphysical Contradiction by CHOSEN from RESOLUTION (BY-NC-SA)
- (07:15) Waiting by Ophyra from Post Mortem (BY-NC-ND)
- (13:21) Destiny Invited by Dusk by Serpenthia from Metal-Libre.org Origins I (BY-NC-SA)
- (17:55) Oscuro renacer by Aesir from Metal-Libre.org Origins I (Copyleft (CC-BY))
- (21:41) Funeral Rites by Overlord from The Undead Cantata (BY-NC-ND)
- (24:22) M-16 by Napalm Strike from Demo 2013 (BY-NC-ND)
- (26:29) Calabozos by Bukowski from Split w/ Bestial Vomit & Grind Bastards (BY-SA)
- (29:01) Snipe The Lamb by AeSect from Irish Metal Archive (BY-NC-ND)
- (35:09) Anchorite by Acumen Nation from Transmissions From Eville (BY-NC-ND)
Please support the bands in this show! Buy a T-Shirt, head to the shows, or pick them up a beer at their show. Wait, that's not good. Nevermind. Whatever you can do to help these bands keep making music, please do it!
Also check out the other great podcasts at Metal Injection, and be sure to listen to all of the great shows (including Open Metalcast) streaming 24/7 at Metalinjection.FM.
If you have any suggestions for Creative Commons licensed metal, send me a link at [email protected].