Open Metalcast Episode #118: 15 Minutes or More of Fame
This week I'll be seeing Rush in concert for their 40th anniversary tour. One of the reasons Rush is one of my favorite bands is they bucked the trends. On the album 2112 they released the now legendary concept track "2112" which clocked in at over 20 minutes. This was despite their label stating they didn't want any more concept songs. Despite this the album is now regarded as a cultural treaure in Canada and the band is still going strong 40 years later. So much for listening to the conventional wisdom.
All of the tracks in this episode are over 15 minutes in length as a tribute to all of the bands that buck the trends, ignore conventional wisdom, and play the music they want to play. This episode features tracks from Cementerio, Doodsangst, NUTRITION, Schattenbrandung, Deep Space Destructors, and Psygnosis.
So poke a finger in the eye of the collectivist mentality and treat yourself over an hour and a half of the best Creative Commons music the net has to offer.
Shownotes after the break:
- (01:02) CEMENTERIO – "Consumidos Por Las Probabilidades" + "Y Acabamos En Un Afluente" + "El Cielo os Banaba" by Boue Records from MENTAT / CEMENTERIO (BY-NC-SA)
- (19:07) de zekere afgrond by Doodsangst from de zekere afgrond (BY-NC-ND)
- (34:15) I by NUTRITION from TERMINUS OCCULTUS (BY)
- (50:45) VII by Schattenbrandung from I – Apophänie (BY-NC-SA)
- (1:06:36) An Ode To Indifferent Universe by Deep Space Destructors from III (BY-NC-ND)
- (1:21:42) Liquid Nebuula by Psygnosis from Anti-Sublime (BY)
Please support the bands in this show! Buy a T-Shirt, buy an album, or see them in concert. What a concept! Whatever you can do to help these bands keep making music, please do it!
Also check out the other great podcasts at Metal Injection, and be sure to listen to all of the great shows (including Open Metalcast) streaming 24/7 at Metalinjection.FM.
If you have any suggestions for Creative Commons licensed metal, send me a link at firstname.lastname@example.org.