Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer will remain in police custody through at least Friday, according to a new report from Indianapolis outlet WISH-TV. Schaffer made his first appearance in court today after turning himself into authorities in Indianapolis this past Friday.
Schaffer was arrested in Hamilton County, charged for his role in the Capitol insurrection on January 6.
Schaffer made his first court appearance today. According WISH, "Jon Schaffer turned himself in to police in Hamilton County and has since been moved to the Marion County Jail. In the next week he is expected to go in front of U.S. magistrate, who could release him on bail."
The FBI has charged him with six different charges, one of which accuses him of spraying Capitol police with bear spray, a more potent form of pepper spray. Schaffer is not guaranteed bail, and must prove that he is not a threat to himself or the public to be granted so. Schaffer is dealing with the following charges:
- Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority
- Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business
- Knowingly Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds
- Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building
- Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building
- Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building
Schaffer was wearing an Oath Keepers hat, which is a known right-wing militia. One of the leaders of the group is being charged with planning and coordinating the breach.
Schaffer's interview with German newspaper Die Welt has been entered as evidence against him in this case, where he said “We’re not going to merge into some globalist, communist system, it will not happen. There will be a lot of bloodshed if it comes down to that, trust me. The American people will not go for that bullshit once they understand what’s actually happening. So that’s where we’re at. Nobody wants this, but they’re pushing us to a point where we have no choice.” A full transcription can be seen here.
Century Media has since dropped Iced Earth and Schaffer's other project, Demons & Wizards from their artist listing page.