Rolling Stone is not done publishing individual lists of musicians they asked to contribute to their 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums list, including lists from Corey Taylor, Lars Ulrich, Ozzy Osbourne and Rob Halford.
They revealed the list that Gojira frontman Joe Duplantier submitted and if there is one thing to be said about Joe is that he loves Metallica, Death and Morbid Angel:
- Death – Human (1991)
- Death – Symbolic (1995)
- Machine Head – Burn My Eyes (1994)
- Mastodon – Emperor of Sand (2017)
- Metallica – Master of Puppets (1986)
- Metallica – Ride the Lightning (1984)
- Morbid Angel – Covenant (1993)
- Morbid Angel – Domination (1995)
- Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine (1992)
- Sepultura – Chaos A.D. (1993)
Interestingly, Joe says Morbid's Domination was "the closest to our sound when we started as a band," and he noted that Gojira's "first gig in '96 was 70 percent Sepultura covers." I guess that explains why Joe was gung-ho to play bass on the first Cavalera Conspiracy record.
Read all of Joe's explanations for his picks over at Rolling Stone.