With the year half over, we've already told you what we think are the best albums of the year so far, but what about the best selling albums of the year? After all, this is called the music business, so who's doing the best business?
Metal Insider crunched the numbers and, no surprise, Metallica's Hardwired… to Self Destruct is #1, with nearly 500,000 units sold. Of course it helps, that every ticket to their massive stadium show comes with a complimentary copy of the album, which counts towards sales, but it still counts. As for the rest of the list, there is a lot of Metallica:
- Metallica – Hardwired… to Self Destruct (487,000 sold)
- Linkin Park – One More Light (130,000 sold)
- Metallica – Metallica (117,000 sold)
- Incubus – 8 (75,500 sold)
- Metallica – …And Justice For All (71,500 sold)
- Metallica – Master of Puppets (71,000 sold)
- Mastodon – Emperor of Sand (71,000 sold)
- Metallica – Ride the Lightning (63,000 sold)
- Guns N’ Roses – Greatest Hits (58,000 sold)
- Nickelback – Feed the Machine (54,000 sold)
Metallica are an unstoppable beast. For all the negative feedback Linkin Park have been getting, the album is still the second best seller of the year. Likewise, I can't believe how well Incubus are doing.
Does this list surprise you?