This week’s new heavy metal releases include an epic collaboration, black metal OGs, the expulsion of nails, and more! To the metals…
Laurenne/Louhimo – The Reckoning
Genre: Heavy/power metal
Origin: Helsinki, Finland
The aptly named Laurenne/Louhimo is the debut collaboration album between singers Netta Laurenne of Smackbound and Noora Louhimo of Battle Beast. Like both of their respective bands, this outfit is epic, rocking metal. This one is for fans of Doro, Judas Priest, and the likes.
Lost Symphony – Chapter III
Genre: Progressive metal
Label: XOFF Records
These Lost Symphony albums just keep getting crazier. This band is already full of classical influences, so it's rather epic, but when you add guest spots from Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis, Angel Vivaldi, Nuno Bettencourt, and lots more, it's somehow even more grand. Benny Goodman and the rest of Lost Symphony show no signs of stopping, and I'm alright with that.
Mayhem – Atavistic Black Disorder / Kommando
Genre: Black metal
Origin: Oslo, Norway
Label: Century Media
This EP is sort of a weird one for Mayhem. It includes one new track, a pair bonus tracks from 2019's Daemon, then some covers. The covers they're taking on are tracks originally by Discharge, Dead Kennedys, Rudimentary Peni, and Ramones. There are even some guest vocals by former members Messiah and Maniac. It's quite the Mayhem grab bag!
Misery Index – Coffin Up The Nails
Genre: Death metal/grindcore
Origin: Baltimore, Maryland
Label: Repulsive Echo Records
Buy now on Bandcamp
Here's another grab bag album, because why not? This is a B-side and rarities collection that includes a Bolt Thrower cover, tracks from split releases, some demos, and alternate mixes of songs. It feels like a must-have for Misery Index completists.
Morningstar Delirium – Morningstar Delirium
Origin: Denver, Colorado
If you're in the moon for something a bit more relaxed this week then the debut from Morning Delirium is the one for you. This is the ethereal collaboration between Clayton Cushman (The Flight Of Sleipnir) and Kelly Schilling (Dreadnought, BleakHeart). Both artists come from other bands that are dark at their core, so there is plenty of spookiness to be had here. It's a good balance of hypnotic ambience and light glitchy beats to shake you out of that trance.
Try some out here.
Structures – None Of The Above
Origin: Toronto, Ontario
Buy now from Structures
Wrapping this week with the first Structures record since 2014. This time they are back as a trio with lead git-fiddler Brendon Padjasek also handling vocals. This has chunky grooves, loads of aggression, a couple guest spots from Brendan Murphy (Counterparts) and Michael Barr (Volumes).
Also dropping today…
- Blood Sport – Hot Blood and Cold Steel (Self-released) Heavy metal
- Domination Campaign – Onward To Glory (Prosthetic) – Death metal
- Ghost Horizon – The Punishment of Life (Self-released) – Atmospheric black metal
- Hardline – Heart, Mind And Soul (Frontiers) – Hard rock
- Hinsides – Under Betlehems brinnande stjärna (Shadow Records) – Black metal
- Toby Hitchcock – Changes (Frontiers) – Melodic rock
- L.A. Guns – Cocked & Loaded Live (Frontiers) – Glam rock
- The L.I.F.E. Project – The L.I.F.E. Project EP (Self-released) – Rock
- Mountain Caller – Chronicle: Prologue (Self-released) – Instrumental doom/sludge
- Musk Ox – Inheritance (Self-released) – Progressive/modern classical
- Night Crowned – Hädanfärd (Noble Demon Records) – Melodic black/death metal
- Ope – Mordoom (Flowerpot Records) – Sludge/doom
- Psychic Hit – Solutio (Seeing Red Records) – Heavy metal
- Rat King – Omen (Self-released) – Doom
- Scattered Storm – Oblivion (Blood Blast Distribution) – Groove metal
- Sepiroth – Condemned to Suffer (Petrichor Records) – Death metal
- Thought Leaders – In Wastelands (King Of Sticks Records) – Punk/dark-wave
- Unendlich – Paradox Of A Broken World (Self-released) – Black metal
- Vessel – Behind The Walls (Golden Robot Records) – Heavy metal
- Various Artists – World Without End: An Underground Tribute To Samhain (Black Donut) – Samhain covers
- Vuajtje – The Womb of the Earth (Self-released) Black metal
- Winter Lantern – Festering Vampiricism (Cursed Oath Records) – Black metal
- Xasthur – Victims Of The Times (Lupus Lounge) – Folk/black metal