It's been a while since we've heard from former Metallica bassist, Jason Newstead. Really, the guy never has to work another day in his life. I'm sure the royalties from the Black Album are enough to not only allow him to live comfortably, but his children and grandchildren as well. But, the dude is a musician, so he has a new project that I just became aware of called Papa Wheelie. Get it? The name already sounds like a bunch of olds trying to be hip and funny, and failing. But what does the music sound like?
Newstead plays guitar and sings in the band. Steven Wiig, Lars Ulrich's former personal assistant (who is suing Lars) is also in the band on drums, and it's rounded out by drummer Joe Ledesma. The band has been kicking around for a decade now. Ultimately, if I didn't know Newstead was in the band, I wouldn't think twice about trashing this stuff. It just sounds like a shitty garage band's demo. Nothing too original. What do you guys think?
The band can be followed on Facebook and have a few West Coast shows coming up:
* Oct. 22 – Time Out Sports Bar – Concord, CA (w/ BEER DRINKERS, HELL RAISERS)
* Oct. 27 – Red Devil Lounge – San Francisco, CA (w/ ANVIL)
* Oct. 29 – 9 Lives – Gilroy, CA (w/ RIVALS, RELAPSE)
* Nov. 05 – Fourth Street Tavern – San Rafael, CA (w/ KNIGHT DRIVE)
* Nov. 19 – The Regency Ballroom – San Francisco CA (w/ KYUSS LIVES!, THE SWORD, BLACK COBRA