A new study from DrugAbuse.com suggests that metal fans most likely enjoy consuming alcohol and drugs. Say what?
The study asked 970 music fans (they don't specify how many were metalheads). They asked the age when they first started consuming these substances and why.
What is the most used substance at live shows? Not surprisingly it's the only one that's legally sold at the venue – alcohol, followed by marijuana which is becoming legal in more and more states:
But which genre parties the hardest? Metal is not the hardiest partiers, we are #2. EDM takes the top spot, which would make sense – those things are just an excuse to do some Molly anyway.
The survey notes that heavy metal fans get their first experience with alcohol at an average of 19 years old. Two in five heavy metal fans said they consume intoxicants "to reduce feelings of social anxiety." Metal fans drink more booze than fans of any other genre, except for alternative and metal fans use more hallucinogens than fans of any other genre, save for EDM and indie rock. Metal fans weren't in the top three for marijuana use though, that belongs to reggae, hip hop and EDM. Just recently CBD oils are becoming a choice for many fans.
Read the entire study here.
Here are some more recent studies on metal:
- Music Gives You A Similar High As Sex And Food, According To A New Study
- Study Compares Moshing To Rituals Performed By Rainforest Tribes In Papua, New Guinea
- Study Says Going To Shows Can Increase Your Lifespan By Nine Years
- Survey Suggests People Over 30 Years Old Stop Discovering New Music
- Music Can Help You Through Surgery, New Study Finds
- Study Links Younger Metal Fans To Higher Self-Harm & Suicide Rates
- More studies here