Voivod will soon release its latest album, Morgöth Tales, on July 21. The 10-song release features one new song—the title track—and nine re-recordings of songs from various eras of their career. It even features appearances from former bassists Eric "E-Force" Forrest and Jason "Jasonic" Newsted.
Today, they've released the single "Nuage Fractal (2023 Version)," which was originally released as part of 1991's Angel Rat. The song songs great with 2023 recording technology and is a great teaser for the rest of Morgöth Tales.
“We are excited to present the first single from our 40th anniversary album!" says bassist Rocky. "It's solid drum and bass, alien guitar line on top, lyrics and melody that connects it all towards a spinning triangle bridge [that] makes ‘Nuage Fractal’ unique, which represents the era of Angel Rat. Let's get ready to celebrate this amazing journey of Morgöth Tales!”
Speaking about the release of Morgöth Tales as a whole, drummer Away commented:
“Morgöth Tales covers 40 years of space exploration. It was really exciting for us to revisit a more obscure part of the Voïvod catalogue, from thrash-punk to prog-metal to…? The title track is a new song, which we started writing in the tour bus and hotels during the Opeth European tour in November/December 2022. It has the vibe of the experimental music we are doing nowadays, with a new twist I think. We also had the great thrill of getting E-Force and Jasonic involved on this album. I hope you’ll dig it. Chewy, Rocky, Snake and I certainly had a blast recording it. All aboard and ready for take off!“
The included tracks are as follows:
- "Condemned To The Gallows" (Originally on Metal Massacre V Compilation, 1984)
- "Thrashing Rage" (Originally on Rrröööaaarrr, 1986)
- "Killing Technology" (Originally on Killing Technology, 1987)
- "Macrosolutions To Megaproblems" (Originally on Dimension Hatröss, 1988)
- "Pre-Ignition" (Originally on Nothingface, 1989)
- "Nuage Fractal" (Originally on Angel Rat, 1991)
- "Fix My Heart" (Originally on The Outer Limits, 1993)
- "Rise (feat. feat. Eric Forrest)" (Originally on Phobos, 1997)
- "Rebel Robot (feat. Jason Newsted)" (Originally on Voivod, 2003)
- "Morgöth Tales" (New Song)
Voivod are on tour for three more days.
5/20 – Houston, TX – White Oak Music Hall
5/21 – Austin, TX – Come and Take It
5/23 – Pensacola, FL – The Vinyl Music Hall (no Imperial Triumphant)