Baroness recently participated in Amoeba Records' What's In My Bag? series, where the whole band went recording shopping and talked about their purchases afterward. Vocalist and guitarist John Dyer Baizley began talking about why he bought The Rolling Stones record Black And Blue when he revealed that Baroness spent some time roughly one year ago recording the follow-up to their 2019 album Gold & Grey.
"I really want this for one song… I think it's the first or second track on this record is 'Hand Of Fate.' I guess it was about a year ago, or a little bit over a year ago, Gina and I were traveling to do some recording for our upcoming record and we just listened to that song over and over again. It doesn't go much beyond that, but it's a really, really great era of The Stones for me. It's got this really cool open, bluesy, raw kind of sound that, I don't know – I'm just a sucker for it."
Check out the band's full list of picks for the What's In My Bag? series below. There's some really interesting stuff in there!
- Paul Lewis – #2 Beethoven Sonatas
- Karlheinz Stockhausen – Mantra
- Oranssi Pazuzu – Farmakologinen
- Blood Incantation – Timewave Zero
- The Rolling Stones – Black And Blue
- King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard – Live In London '19
- Davy Graham – The Guitar Player
- Heldon – Third: It's Always Rock 'n' Roll
- Colter Wall – Colter Wall
- Judee Sill – Judee Sill
- Portal – AVOW
- Tim Maia – Nobody Can Live Forever – The Existential Soul Of Tim Maia
- Gauze – Equalizing Distort
- Charlie Haden – Liberation Music Orchestra
- William Onyeabor – Anything You Sow
- Fugazi – Seven Songs