To mark the new year, Spotify announced their latest app feature — "Playlist In A Bottle" — in which you can create a playlist and have it locked away (figuratively, of course) by Spotify until 2024. In many ways, it builds on some of the features the streaming giant toyed with last year, such as color-coordinated mood mixes.
"Playlist In a Bottle" works a little like this: the user is prompted with several questions which are answered by selecting a particular song. When I tried the feature out, one question I was asked was, "What song do you want to hear live in 2023" (I answered Metallica's "Lux Aeterna," as one example.) From there, the questionnaire continues with similar prompts until you decide you've had enough. To be honest, I crapped out after five songs, but it was pretty late at night, and it probably needed more sincere attention. That said, in 2024, when the playlists will be "opened," those 5 songs will be waiting for me.
Despite being used in practically every home and business around the world, Spotify still doesn't do a great job of marketing their latest innovations, at least not in the way they do with their yearly "Wrapped" feature, and other playlist formations such as "Daily Drive" and "On Repeat." Also, because of their strong push into audiobooks at the moment, it remains to be seen if the "Message In a Bottle" gets the attention it needs to become a mainstay. But, if nothing else, it illustrates that Spotify as a service is not interested in a static user experience.
If you want to give it a try, check out the instructions below, or via the Spotify newsroom.
Here’s how to make your Playlist in a Bottle:
- Ensure your Spotify mobile app is up to date with the latest version.
- Click spotify.com/playlistinabottle from your mobile device.
- Select your time capsule of choice—you can pick from a bottle, jean pocket, gumball machine, lunch box, or teddy bear.
- Answer a series of song-inspired prompts. For example:
- “A song you’re going to kiss someone to this year”
- “A song that reminds you of your favorite person”
- “A song you need to hear live in 2023”
- 5. Digitally seal your musical time capsule and send it off!
- Share a personalized card to your social channels with the tag #PlaylistInABottle.
- Come January 2024, if you made a Playlist in a Bottle, you’ll receive your personalized time capsule reminding you what you were listening to one year prior.