MACHINE HEAD's Robb Flynn Congratulates AVENGED SEVENFOLD For "Their Covers Album," Hail To The King Going To #1
If you happened to have listened to Avenged Sevenfold's Hail To The King, you might notice some familiarties between the tracks on the album, and some classic tracks from Metallica, Guns N Roses, Megadeth and other early 90s bands the band was "paying tribute to." We poked fun at the similarities, some of them startling on last week's Livecast, but one person was not sitting well with the success off the backs of '90s bands and that person is Machine Head's Robb Flynn.
Update: Avenged Sevenfold's M. Shadows actually responded. See what he had to say here.
Flynn posted a new blog entry earlier today criticizing Avenged Sevenfold for using others' ideas for their own success writing:
Congratulations to Avenged Sevenfold on their latest "covers album" coming in at #1, who knew that re-recording Metallica, Guns N Roses, and Megadeth songs could be such a worldwide hit!!?? Ba-dap Psssssss!!
I'm on fire!!
In case you've been living under a rock, Avenged came in at #1 in multiple countries throughout the world. I'm happy for them. Good band. And while I like the new record, and really dug the last record "Nightmare", hopefully we're all coming down from our post-orgasmic #1-album-bliss, because it's time to call a spade a spade!! It's time to poke a little fun at A7X, cause there's some blatant jackery goin' on there wiggas!!
So here are my top 10 jokes about the new Avenged Sevenfold record:
10) Avenged Sevenfold – "Now with even MORE Metallica"
9) Avenged Sevenfold to change name to "Sad But Two"
Number of "spurting penises" drawn on Avenged logos suddenly skyrockets
7) Eyeliner sales skyrocket as thousands of heartbroken goth girls realize "Hail To The King" is actually "that ugly AC/DC bands song 'Thunderstruck'"
6) After hearing "Heretic", Dave Mustaine flips out, blames Obama, Metallica and UFO's for the A7X stealing "Symphony Of Destruction".
5) After seeing how much success the band Bush had stealing other band names for song titles, A7X decided to steal "In Flames" for latest chorus. Future chorus lyrics include "Tr-vi-um" and "Kill-switch En-gage"
4) Upon hearing latest album, Lars Ulrich goes all gangsta, breaks bottle of Dom Perignon on M. Shadows head, while his 11ft girlfriend put Shadows in headlock, as he screams in Shadows face, "You're gonna rip off St. Anger next right, HUH? You're gonna rip off St Anger NEXT RIGHT? HUH, HUH, HUH!!"
3) "Black album" sales skyrocket as fans realise where new songs came from.
2) After hearing Avenged's Guns N Roses cover "Doing Time", Axl actually calls Slash, says, "Dude, What The Fuck?!"
1) And the #1 joke about the new Avenged Sevenfold album: Avenged Sevenfold release statement that they're NOT ripping off Metallica, announce side project with Lou Reed.
Hey Robb, stick to your day job of writing music!
All kidding aside, this just seems like a little razzing and perhaps, in a way, comes off a bit bitter. To me though, it seems like Flynn is just having a little fun playing into internet memes. Read M. Shadows' response.
For what it's worth, I think Hail To The King is a solid album. Read our review of the album here.